Over one hundred volunteers were needed this summer to help with USA Cycling Amateur Road Championships in Washington County. “The event is a big production. Right now, there are several committees meeting almost weekly. … We are setting the target for 150 (volunteers),” said Dan Spedden, president of the Hagerstown-Washington County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
According to Herald-Mail Media, the races are scheduled for July 26-29 and are expected to attract hundreds of cyclists and of course, their families, along with their supporters from all over the country. Here is the tentative schedule:
- July 24: Participant arrivals
- July 25: Registration opens, participant arrivals, event preparation, “Welcome Wednesday” at the Hagerstown Suns home game in Municipal Stadium
- July 26: Time trial, Boonsboro
- July 27: Road race day one, Clear Spring area
- July 28: Road race day two, Clear Spring area
- July 29: Criterium race, downtown Hagerstown
Competitors are expected to arrive in a day or two, prior to the event. Following this, competitors of several ages will race in three different events over the course of four day. The events include the following:
- Time trial in the Boonsboro area
- A long road race in the Clear Spring area
- The criteria course in Hagerstown.
Previous National Championships have drawn over 600 to 1200 competitors. “I am saying we’ll be closer to the 1,200 mark. We are within drive time of many, many competitors. And people from all over the country are signing up,” Dan Spedden revealed.
The decision of USA Cycling to select the county was because of its central location in mid-Atlantic region and proximity to several largest markets in the country. Spedden added how the committees have worked with several organizations, including local police, state, highway, and the street officials. “It is a lot of work, and I am glad we started early. … We need permits from several agencies. We need to design good detours (for motorists) and road closures,” Spedden concludes, the liquor store near me.